UnrealScript is the Java-style programming language used by the Unreal Engine. This is the starting point for the Unreal Wiki's reference pages.
- For an overview of how the engine uses UnrealScript, see Unreal Engine Core. * For introductory tutorials, see UnrealScript Lessons. Features a set of simple tutorials to get you set up, and coding your first mutators.
- Stuck? See Compiler Errors, Unreal Coding FAQ and the rest of Category Troubleshooting
- Class Syntax
- Variable Syntax
- Function Syntax
- Flow Syntax
- Special UnrealScript Keywords
- Exec Directive
- Compiler Errors
- UnrealScript Keywords – All keywords in a single list
We're also working on an EBNF UnrealScript Grammar, but bear in mind it's fairly technical.
- Creating Actors and Objects
- Object Pool
- Destroying Objects
- Default Properties
- Extending States
- Linked List
- Mutator Topics
- Scripting Operators
- Useful Maths functions
- Useful Mutator Functions for UT
- Scripting Custom Brushbuilders
- Official UnMath Page
See also Open Source.
- Package – Very basic introduction to UT package files, and how they're assembled (.u, .utx, .umx, .uax, .unr)
- Class Tree (navigate also from Object or Actor. To jump directly, use the search function at the foot of this page)
- UnrealScript Source
- Taking Damage – The effects of the TakeDamage function in the Pawn class.
- Armor Damage Absorption – How a player's inventory reduces damage.
- Communication Between Objects
- PlayerController – An engine eyes view of the player.
- How UT Weapons Work
- How UT2003 Weapons Work
- Chain of Events at Level Startup
- Chain of Events when Spawning Actors
- Replication – Everyone's "favorite". How to make actors work in network play.
- Config Vars And .Ini Files
- Input Key Map
- Code References
- Compiling With UCC – Compiling outside of UnrealEd. (UEd isn't the best tool for modding, anyway. )
- Coding Guidelines – Ideas about coding style in general
- Maintaining Compatibility – What's good and what's bad when writing a certain type of mod
- Debugging Techniques – What to do to find out, what's wrong
- Optimization Techniques – How to make your UnrealScript code run fast
Pages that cover basics, aimed at mappers.
- UnrealScript Language Reference (Tim Sweeney)
- Mod Authoring (Brandon Reinhart) (Mainly for UT only)
- [UDN's UnrealScript Reference] (Unreal Developer Network – some features don't work on builds before 600)
- Garbage Collection
- UnrealScript Operators and Keywords – this is marked for either deletion or rewriting as a starter tutorial
- A good read: [How To Write Unmaintainable Code]
- The [UnrealScript Yahoo Group] has over 10,000 archived messages on UnrealScript topics.
- UDN's [Unreal Tournament 2003 Coding Links] has some miscellaneous references to tutorials and fourms.
Wormbo: Something makes me feel this page needs to be refactored since it's the portal to all UnrealScript-related topics.
Tarquin: yes! Any ideas?
- overview of "begin play functions": post- and pre-. What do they do? What is the diff between the two? When to use them?
- something in the "How stuff works" section on the "chain of command": Events, Trigger, the concept of the Instigator variable that gets passed along a chain of objects.
Ideas for a page name for these two? Could "How stuff works" be called "unrealscript systems" instead?